[CLUE-Tech] Keeping long file names when using mkisofs

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Feb 21 03:56:45 MST 2002

Did you know that you can check the ISO without burning it?

Try

mount -o loop -t iso9660 path/to/img.iso /mnt/tmp

And it will mount the newly created iso filesystem.  You can then change
to the mount directory and see how what you did worked.

* BOF (bof at pcisys.net) wrote:
> Ed Hill wrote:
>
> ># Use Rock Ridge (Linux/Unix) and Joliet (MS) extensions
> >mkisofs -R -J -o  file.iso  /path/
> >

> You're right, those are the switches to use.
>
> Before posting my question, I tried those switches and got output like this:
>
>    Using TOPLE000.VSD;1 for
>    archives/DU_work/4426_SWEngrCapstone/DFDs/TopLevel2.vsd (TopLevel.vsd)
>    Using TOPLE000.BMP;1 for
>    archives/DU_work/4426_SWEngrCapstone/DFDs/TopLevel2.bmp (TopLevel.bmp)

This is because the 8.3 names are still there, and are the primary names
for the file.  The long name is stored in the Rock Ridge and Joliet
extension part of the CD.  This way, the the CD will work on strictly
ISO implementations (are there any?), or MS-DOS.

Tim