[CLUE-Tech] I give up

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Thu Feb 21 20:27:52 MST 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Mike Staver wrote:

> Alright, after trying for many hours to figure out how to boot this
> alpha in SRM mode, can someone tell me how to do this?  If I don't need
> the SRM console, how do I install linux?

What does it boot into when you turn it on?

When I initially got mine, it would boot into the NT version of the DEC
firmware.  I had to install SRM (i.e. the Unix version of the DEC firmware).

Once that was installed, it was simply a matter of issuing the proper
commands at the SRM prompt to get the machine to boot the installation cd.

AFAIK, you do need to have SRM installed to run any *NIX on the Alpha.  I
installed NetBSD on mine.

During my installation/configuration on mine I grabbed a bunch of doco on
SRM.  I dig for it if necessary.  There was some traffic on this list that
should also have links to that doco, you should be able to locate it in the
December archives.

HTH
--
Cheers!

Randy

Randy Arabie
GnuPG Key Info --

 Fingerprint: 7E25 DFA2 EF72 9551 9C6C  8AA6 6E8C A0F5 7E33 D981
 Key ID: 7C603AEF
 http://www.arabie.org/keys/rrarabie.gnupg