[CLUE-Tech] help with XML

Matt Gushee mgushee at hypermall.net
Thu Feb 21 20:11:48 MST 2002

On Wednesday 20 February 2002 18:20, you wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Brandon N wrote:

> > I've been writting documentation in SGML for a while now, and I'm
> > trying to move it to XML because I can't find any good SGML editors.
> > As of yet I haven't been able to get anything to compile to HTML.  I'm
> > pretty sure I have everything installed correctly, I'm running Debian.

I'm not sure that logically follows. I also use and love Debian, but Jade is
about as close to rocket science as text processing programs get. And
sgmltools being a hack on top of Jade -- a *good* hack, but a hack
nonetheless, well ... it doesn't take much to make the whole thing blow up.

> > Do you have any pointers on what I need in the header of the document,
> > and what the command line should be?  I've tried it using sgmltools,
> > and jade directly with no luck yet.

One problem I've run into when processing XML is that Jade (well, actually
the parser, nsgmls) needs to be able to find an XMLish SGML declaration. Said
declaration must either have a catalog entry (which it doesn't by default
AFAIK) or be specified on the command line. I'm not sure if I have the docs
one that -- I haven't used jade in a couple of years -- but I could probably
find the info without much trouble if you need it.

> Can you send me the file you're trying to convert to HTML?

> Also, what version of Debian are you using, what version of sgmltools,
> DocBook, etc? Any errors that you're getting should be helpful as
> well.

Your environment variables could be relevant, too. Especially anything
starting with 'SP'.

> Anyway, send it my way and I'll take a look. It'll be good for
> me, I haven't been doing much with DocBook for a while...

I'd also be happy to check it out if that would be helpful.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO  USA