[CLUE-Tech] Colorless apps?

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Mon Feb 25 13:21:30 MST 2002

Grant Johnson wrote:
> Is that an S3 video card?  I had that problem on my S3's,
 > but not my ATI's or Voodoo's

I was having the problem with a Permedia II chipset and the
glint driver.  What your saying indicates the problem may be
driver or chipset related rather than with the application.
But if that were true, shouldn't the problem affect all apps
at that color depth rather than just a couple?

I've seen Oracle's Developer 2000 app's crash in a cryptic
and ugly manner unless they were displaying to an 8-bit or
pseudo color X server.  I was able to demonstate both on the
local display as well as several remote displays, so I'm pretty
sure that was related to the app.

Lynn