[CLUE-Tech] Database Performance Comparison

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Feb 25 22:23:24 MST 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:25:07 -0700
"Chris K. Chew" <chris at fenetics.com> wrote:

> Yeah, but too bad MySQL isn't "unbreakable".  Heeheh.

Yeah, but just about nothing is unbreakable. I wouldn't expect any
database system (including the various things you hook onto it, or use to
hook into it) to be so. "Unbreakable" is just marketing hype.

I'd like to see a "benchmark" for full transactional recovery when a power
hit fries the disk controller. Yep, with proper mirroring, anything
_should_ be recoverable from that.

> Gotta love that MySQL performs as well as Oracle 9i and BOTH are twice
> as
> fast as MS-SQL.
>
> Is anyone surprized?  I would love to hear Microsloths take on the
> report.

I haven't looked at the particular article, but I do find the TPC
benchmarks to be interesting. Never seen MySQL or PostgreSQL there. It's
always a question of how an application is configured, and how well the
servers and database are tuned. Could be that nobody has the
time/inclination/money to do a TPC benchmark on MySQL or PG. And speed
isn't quite everything.

--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."