[CLUE-Tech] My transition

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Tue Feb 26 10:13:59 MST 2002

At work this week, I've decided that I'm going to be a rebel and ditch
the windows 2000 installation I currently have on my laptop in favor of
Red Hat linux 7.2.  Problem is - before I make this a reality, I need 4
things:

1) A very, very good HTML editor for linux.  I use Cold Fusion Studio
4.5 on windows - it doesn't write code for me, it just color codes
everything to it's easier to read.  I spend 8-10 hours a day coding with
this program, so it must be comfortable for me to use and be stable.

2) I need a front end that interacts with SQL Server 2000 remotely -
like enterprise manager does on windows.  Is there such an app?
Enterprise manager gives me a drill down into things like stored
procedures, tables, etc for a list of databases on our windows database
server.

3) An app that works similar to Visual Source Safe - that allows me to
open an MS Visual Source Safe 6.0 database.  That is our code
repository, and it is vital that am able to access this.

4) Some great howto on getting my new linux box to authenticate against
a windows active directory box.

With linux, I've already got my outlook clone, netscape messenger and
browser, mp3 player, and everything else I use a computer for.  It's
just these 4 things that will give me absolutely no reason to keep using
windows.  I can't expect my company to stop using windows, because the
accountants use 3 major tax software packages for doing
corporate/foreign national/expat tax returns, and ofcourse these
packages only run on windows.  So, I just need a workstation that plays
nice with the current windows network we have.
--

                                -Mike Staver
                                 staver at fimble.com
                                 mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com