[CLUE-Tech] power supply fried my motherboard

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Feb 27 19:43:25 MST 2002

Jeffrey Greer wrote:

[...]

> In the last two months my dual celeron with abit bp 6 mbd computer has had
> trouble powering on.  Recently it wouldn't power on at all, but the fans on
> the motherboard would work.  I thought the motherboard was bad.  I bought a
> new abit kt7a motherboard put the new system together and experienced a lot
> of flakiness as I powered the system on.  Problems in hardware seemed to be
> occuring randomly as I switched out components.  After a couple of hours of
> switching components I smelled something burning on the new computer, then
> nothing worked.  I've concluded my power supply fried my motherboard.

You would be hard pressed, I think, to get a P/S to cause smoke to come out of a
motherboard.  Could it be that smoke came out of a P/S part and now that doesn't
work?

What I would do is unplug the P/S from all the internal (to the PC) components
and measure the voltages delivered to the motherboard.  I'm sure you can find a
pin out for it on the 'net.  Check the P/S fan while you're at it - I saw a
failure of one of those cause flakiness but it didn't hurt anything.

Just a thought.

> My components will be - socket a mbd, 756mb pc100 memory, athlon xp 1600,
> 7200 wd drive, 5400 maxtor drive, ati radeon all in wonder video,
> soundblaster live, nic, scsi cd burner.

350W is almost certainly enough for this setup, especially if it is a solid PS.