[CLUE-Tech] port settings

George Finney g2_finney at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 10:19:13 MST 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, George Finney wrote:

>> Is there a way to specify the port speed on an
>> ethernet interface?

>With ifconfig, the media type argument - I believe
both
>'10baseT' and '100baseT' are valid arguments, as well
as 'auto'.

When I run ifconfig I get:
ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT
port: SIOCSIFMAP: Operation not supported

The man page for ifconfig does say that not all
drivers support all media types or the media operation
at all.  Is there another way to change the speed
setting using the eepro100 driver?

>> We are currently recieving about 1000 undersized
>> packet errors per hour from the cisco device that
we
>> are connected to.  Is this really a problem?

>I would say it is a problem, but I'm not certain how
>to fix it.  I do recall, when doing research on the
>Cisco 678 router (which I am not claiming has any
>releavence in this situation, but is the >only
'experience' I can claim) that there were
>changes to the MTU settings that could resolve
>potential packet errors.  Now that I've thought about
>this, I think this had more to do with transition
>from IP protocol to PPP protocol.

The connections are going from our server to a Cisco
catalyst 6509 switch.  All ethernet, so no transitions
to another encapsulation type like on a dsl line.  I
think the MTU is a good direction to go in, but I
wonder why the service provider thinks the errors have
to do with the speed setting on the server.  Any
ideas?

george