[CLUE-Tech] My transition

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Feb 26 11:08:53 MST 2002

Thus spoke Mike Staver

Bluefish:  http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/

> 2) I need a front end that interacts with SQL Server 2000 remotely -
> like enterprise manager does on windows.  Is there such an app?
> Enterprise manager gives me a drill down into things like stored
> procedures, tables, etc for a list of databases on our windows database
> server.

Can't help here, really.  But try a search on Freshmeat:

http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=SQL+Server+2000&section=projects&x=5&y=8

These might provide some middleware on top of which you can piece together a
front end.

> 3) An app that works similar to Visual Source Safe - that allows me to
> open an MS Visual Source Safe 6.0 database.  That is our code
> repository, and it is vital that am able to access this.

Ditto.

http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=Visual+Source+Safe&section=projects

Looks like this just converts the MS gunk into CVS.  Don't know if that will
be helpful or not.

> 4) Some great howto on getting my new linux box to authenticate against
> a windows active directory box.

I don't even know what that means.

> With linux, I've already got my outlook clone, netscape messenger and
> browser, mp3 player, and everything else I use a computer for.  It's
> just these 4 things that will give me absolutely no reason to keep using
> windows.  I can't expect my company to stop using windows, because the

The problem is that you're tied to some pretty proprietary stuff there.  It's
hard to tell if anyone has made client sides to any of them for Linux.  At
this point, I've only just begun digging into MS stuff cuz the wife needs her
XP box to work with my network and web sites and I'm trying to generate some
GIMP CDs for Win32.  Hopefully someone with more MS DB experience can help
you out.  I don't know who makes those products you're using, but it might be
useful to drop them a line asking for Linux-based client side tools
availability.  At least that lets them know people are interested in such
things.

Good luck.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |   Chinese Proverb: