[CLUE-Tech] My transition

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue Feb 26 11:21:35 MST 2002

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 12:08:53PM -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:

> > 4) Some great howto on getting my new linux box to authenticate against
> > a windows active directory box.
>
> The problem is that you're tied to some pretty proprietary stuff there.  It's
> hard to tell if anyone has made client sides to any of them for Linux.

This reminds me of one important detail: Active Directory has 2 modes --
I think they're called "native mode" and "mixed mode". Mixed mode is
designed to work with legacy Windows clients, while native mode is for
all-Win2k (or Win2k + XP?) networks -- and once you enable it, you can't
revert to mixed mode without completely reinstalling Active Directory.
If your network is running in mixed mode, there's a good chance you can
integrate Linux into it. If not ... grab those rosary beads, or pour your-
self a stiff drink, whichever you prefer.
--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com