[CLUE-Tech] My transition

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 11:05:09 MST 2002

You've got some pretty big software requirements, I'm not sure if they can
be met adequately by Linux.  I've done similiar things before
(unilaterally bring in/install Linux boxes) and the biggest issue for me
was never Linux, it was IT/IS at the company.  It can range from tacid
cooperation, to out-right refusal to help w/r network connectivity and
resource issues.

I would offer the following, more diplomatic solution:
A>  Confirm that you can find most/all/enough of the software needed to
merit this effort
B>  Get chummy with your IT/IS department - chances are there is someone
in there interested in Linux
C>  Make a pitch for doing an 'investigation': can an inexpensive, open,
and secure OS for be used for daily duties?  for which daily duties?
could others (in your company) benefit from features available in OS
software?  Is there a potential cost savings?  At least this way you stand
a chance at getting the IT/IS department on your side right off the bat.

--- Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> wrote:
> 1) A very, very good HTML editor for linux.  I use Cold Fusion Studio

This requirement is the easiest to meet.  There are tons of editors, from
high powered to text (vim,...) to HTML specific (I use bluefish)...

> 2) I need a front end that interacts with SQL Server 2000 remotely -
> like enterprise manager does on windows.  Is there such an app?
> Enterprise manager gives me a drill down into things like stored
> procedures, tables, etc for a list of databases on our windows database
> server.
Oh man.  I have never heard of anything like this existing.  if SQL Server
plays nice and provides a standard interface (ODBC, jDBC?) then there is
probably a few OS database browsers that may meet your needs - editting
stored procedures though?  That I'm doubtful of.

> 3) An app that works similar to Visual Source Safe - that allows me to
I have used Linux before in an MKS Source Integrity centric project.  I
had a windows machine that imported a SAMBA share from my linux box.  I
editted and did automated processing on linux, then used the Windows box
to sync to the repository.  YMMV

> 4) Some great howto on getting my new linux box to authenticate against
> a windows active directory box.
There was a LJ article 5-6 months ago about authenticating to LDAP
servers, and you can now (I believe) set Samba up to authenticate against
an NT domain server...  neither of these have I done.

=====
Keith E. Hellman
kehellman at yahoo.com