[CLUE-Tech] My transition

Charlie Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Tue Feb 26 11:36:35 MST 2002

On Tuesday 26 February 2002 11:05, Keith Hellman gave up the right to
remain silent by saying:
> You've got some pretty big software requirements, I'm not sure if
> they can be met adequately by Linux.  I've done similiar things
> before (unilaterally bring in/install Linux boxes) and the biggest
> issue for me was never Linux, it was IT/IS at the company.  It can
> range from tacid cooperation, to out-right refusal to help w/r
> network connectivity and resource issues.
>
> I would offer the following, more diplomatic solution:
> A>  Confirm that you can find most/all/enough of the software
> needed to merit this effort
> B>  Get chummy with your IT/IS department - chances are there is
> someone in there interested in Linux
> C>  Make a pitch for doing an 'investigation': can an inexpensive,
> open, and secure OS for be used for daily duties?  for which daily
> duties? could others (in your company) benefit from features
> available in OS software?  Is there a potential cost savings?  At
> least this way you stand a chance at getting the IT/IS department
> on your side right off the bat.

I would add:

D> Start an internal LUG.  Someone in an MCI Worldcom user department
did that.  Before he knew it, there were 50 members.  2/3 didnt even
have linux on their boxes when they joined (including me).  It ended
up as both a training group and an internal advocacy group.

--
Charles Oriez      coriez at oriez.org 39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**