[CLUE-Tech] My transition

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Tue Feb 26 11:08:50 MST 2002

Mike Staver wrote:

>At work this week, I've decided that I'm going to be a rebel and ditch
>the windows 2000 installation I currently have on my laptop in favor of
>Red Hat linux 7.2.  Problem is - before I make this a reality, I need 4
>things:
>
>1) A very, very good HTML editor for linux.  I use Cold Fusion Studio
>4.5 on windows - it doesn't write code for me, it just color codes
>everything to it's easier to read.  I spend 8-10 hours a day coding with
>this program, so it must be comfortable for me to use and be stable.

I have heard good things about Blue Fish and Quanta, but have not used
them.  I usually use pico or the KDE advanced editor.

>2) I need a front end that interacts with SQL Server 2000 remotely -
>like enterprise manager does on windows.  Is there such an app?
>Enterprise manager gives me a drill down into things like stored
>procedures, tables, etc for a list of databases on our windows database
>server.

That will happen as soon as they publish the API.  In other words, there
will be blizzards in Tampa first.

>3) An app that works similar to Visual Source Safe - that allows me to
>open an MS Visual Source Safe 6.0 database.  That is our code
>repository, and it is vital that am able to access this.

See #3, but replace API with file format.

>4) Some great howto on getting my new linux box to authenticate against
>a windows active directory box.

PAM Samba?????  I don't know for sure.  At my house, everything
authenticated against the Linux box.