[CLUE-Tech] EJB & SOAP IDL

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Tue Feb 26 18:13:02 MST 2002

On Tuesday 26 February 2002 02:58 pm, Keith Hellman wrote:
> I just luv PASL - Pure Acronym Subject Lines ;)
>
> My fingers are worn out from searching, and I hope someone on the list can
> point me to some references:
>
> 1>  I'm trying to find out exactly what component messaging protocol
> Enterprise Java Beans uses:  CORBA? (SUN)-ish RPC? XML-RPC? Java
> Serialization? SOAP?  Or can it be configured implementation?  I've found
> plenty of info about EJB and how it 'fits in' - but I'm looking for a
> little more detail on the communication between the client and server.

RMI - Remove Method Invocation

One thing I should point out is that EJBs are a Bad Idea (tm) unless you are
in a truly distributed and loosely coupled environment.  For example, check
this post:

EJBs are a great idea when they are used as designed.  Because of the
overhead of RMI, using them as 'business logic' wrappers in a non-distributed
environment could cause problems.  For example:

http://www.mail-archive.com/general@jakarta.apache.org/msg03376.html

Finally, a Gartner study (no link handy) claims that 70% of folks building
J2EE apps do not need EJBs.

> 2>  I seem to recall (in my hazy insomnia-induced-reading-frenzies) that
> there is something akin to IDL for SOAP.  That is to say a mechanism to
> determine the interface available from a SOAP component, without of
> course, seeing the code.  Is this true?  Can you throw an Acronym at me?

SOAP is a way to invoke messages on a remote server.  AFAIK, SOAP _is_ the
IDL...

Jeff