[CLUE-Tech] creating system backups

ian iguy at ionsphere.org
Tue Jan 1 10:39:51 MST 2002

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 09:32:01AM -0800, Brandon N wrote:

> --- Matt Gushee <mgushee at hypermall.net> wrote:
> > jason at matchingmoms.com writes:
> >  > I'm trying to create backups of some key directories (/etc /home
> > /var) and
> >  > write them to CD-ROM.
> >  >
> >  > My first attempt was mkisofs | cdrecord, but that throws away the
> > symlinks,
> >  > which I want.
>
> >From everything I've read, this is dangerous. mkisofs will have a hard
> time supplying data fast enough for cdrecord.  Once cdrecord starts, it
> can't reposition the laser so if it doesn't have the data, it will ruin
> your cd.  If you're going to do this, don't spin the disk too fast, and
> even then it may not work.

This is beyond bad unless you have a MEGA fast system with a really really
fast CD burner.  Espeically since the Linux scheduler is not real time yet.

You should write an ISO first and then burn it to CD.  Not to mention
/etc and /var on most systems are typically quite small.  Its /home that
gets ya every time.

ian