[CLUE-Tech] DSL router

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Fri Jan 4 06:55:10 MST 2002

On Thursday 03 January 2002 09:11 pm, you wrote:
> will I need to change the configuration of the _Cisco router_ in order for
> my Linux box to use it (note I understand I'll need to configure my Linux
> box)?

It depends on how (or if) your Linux box was ever connected to the Internet.

Well, for my Siemens router (which is doing same networking things you want
to do with Cisco), all I had to do was setup DHCP client (common ones are
'pump' and 'dhcpcd') on my Linux box and voila, I was on my LAN.  As long as
the Cisco is connected to the network, it will route from your Linux box to
the internet.  The Cisco router will do all of this for you.

Of course, I had the correct network card driver (running as a Linux kernel
module) installed.  Most Linux distributions will configure your network card
(if it is a relatively modern one) at installation.  But, if you don't have
your network card driver installed, let us know and we can tell you how to do
it.

Later,
Jeff