[CLUE-Tech] Ximian busted my browser...

Jeremiah Stanley miah at miah.org
Wed Jan 2 21:24:15 MST 2002

Just to proffer a solution. RedHat and Ximian cannot agree on what rpm's
that will work together. In fact Ximian puts browsers in an entirely
different tree than ol RH. So, the solution to this problem is to
uninstall all RPM's that have anything to do with mozilla or galeon. Now,
pick which ones you want to use (you'll notice that there are two versions
of mozilla that get installed and two versions of galeon), either the RH
RPM's or the Ximian RPM's. I personally suggest the Ximian ones b/c in my
experience they are more stable than the earlier RH versions. You may need
to do some violent rm'ing to get all traces of galeon and mozilla out of
there.

This problem is specific to RH7.x

JStanley

> I did 'rm -rf ~/.mozilla' and as root 'rm -rf /tmp/*' and 'rm -rf
> /tmp/.*' and restarted.  That, I would hope, would clear any cached
> stuph.
>
> I have tried launching from a gnome-terminal, from an xterm, and from
> tty1.
>
> Still nothing.  No window.  No feedback.  Any other ideas?
>
> David
>
> On Wed, 2002-01-02 at 12:43, Grant Johnson wrote:
> > Occasionally, Netscape/Mozilla will get a nasty file in the cache that
> > will spaz things.  Usually it is a corrupted GIF.  Delete everything
> > under cache (make sure that it is not running first) and then try it.
> >  On the older versions, there are a bunch of subdirectories with 2
> > character names, but on the newer stuff, there is just one big directory
> > again.  Check in .netscape, .mozilla, etc.  I have to use Netscape 6.2
> > for getting to my work email because of some added stuff for RSA token
> > based security, but my cache is still in
> > ~/.mozilla/default/hphmd4lc.slt/Cache so it still shows the Mozilla
> > engine is behind it.
> >
> > If you are a big chicken, you can make a directory called oldcache or
> > something, and just move all of the files there.
> >
> > David Willson wrote:
> >
> > >OK,I tried a lot of things, the only things that responded visibly were
> > >'mozilla -mail' and 'mozilla -ProfileManager'.  Both of those commands
> > >seem to do what they're supposed to, but if I try to CTRL+1 or
> > >Tasks>Navigator from Mail, it quietly closes.  Nothing sends any
> > >messages at all to the console, except 'mozilla -help', which gives what
> > >you would expect.
> > >
> > >So, I have a broken browser that doesn't complain.

Everybody has a right to be stupid, but some people abuse the privilege.
		- Joseph Stalin