[CLUE-Tech] Re: [CLUE-TechDSL (Cisco Modem) - passwords

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Sat Jan 12 13:43:33 MST 2002

On 01-12 13:15, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> On 01-06 18:30, Jeremiah Stanley wrote:
> >
> > > From some research I did last night it seems MD5 is a one way
> > > encryption.  I had to started to write a program to try and reverse
> > > the algorythm.  I have code for doing MD5 so I thought I would try and
> > > go the other way.  No such luck :^( .
> >
> > Just for a reference to "crack" MD5 you would need to have all of the
> > worlds computers working on this 24/7/365, take into account Moore's Law
> > in this too. Now ignore the storage requirements for this with the ratio
> > of 1 silicon atom to 1 bit of storage, which puts the storage requirement
> > for this project at about twice the estimated amount of silicon in the
> > universe. It would still take you 2^212 years, by that time I'm sure the
> > sun will have supernova'd us all the component atoms wasting all those
> > cycles we could have used to play solitaire and cure cancer. You may
> > have better luck throwing in some differential calc and working against
> > linear equations and all but it still hasn't been proven that MD5 is
> > weak to anything but brute force. ;)
>
> I'm curious...I thought that MD5 was shown to have some lack of randomness
> (I remember reading this about 1.5 years ago, I think) that may be exploited
> in some manner. And of course I don't have a cite for this. It may have been
> on Slashdot.

I did find a reference to this, BTW:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1828.txt

Scroll down to "Security Considerations". "Lack of randomness" really wasn't
the correct phrase, either..."lack of proper distribution" is maybe closer.

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome