[CLUE-Tech] Re: [CLUE-TechDSL (Cisco Modem) - passwords

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Sat Jan 12 13:15:38 MST 2002

On 01-06 18:30, Jeremiah Stanley wrote:

> > From some research I did last night it seems MD5 is a one way
> > encryption.  I had to started to write a program to try and reverse
> > the algorythm.  I have code for doing MD5 so I thought I would try and
> > go the other way.  No such luck :^( .
>
> Just for a reference to "crack" MD5 you would need to have all of the
> worlds computers working on this 24/7/365, take into account Moore's Law
> in this too. Now ignore the storage requirements for this with the ratio
> of 1 silicon atom to 1 bit of storage, which puts the storage requirement
> for this project at about twice the estimated amount of silicon in the
> universe. It would still take you 2^212 years, by that time I'm sure the
> sun will have supernova'd us all the component atoms wasting all those
> cycles we could have used to play solitaire and cure cancer. You may
> have better luck throwing in some differential calc and working against
> linear equations and all but it still hasn't been proven that MD5 is
> weak to anything but brute force. ;)

I'm curious...I thought that MD5 was shown to have some lack of randomness
(I remember reading this about 1.5 years ago, I think) that may be exploited
in some manner. And of course I don't have a cite for this. It may have been
on Slashdot.

Of course, when/if quantum computers come about - current encryption and
one-way hashes will look pretty weak, huh? :)

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome