[CLUE-Tech] Hardware Questions

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 12 21:13:26 MST 2002

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Jeffery Cann wrote:

> On Saturday 12 January 2002 08:33 pm, JOEL COHEN wrote:
> > Are you sure you want to build a new machine?
>
> Yes.  IMHO - It is a waste of resources and creates massive pollution (on a
> global scale) when folks 'throw away' their old boxes.

Bless you! So few people even think about it.

> I would only replace motherboard, cpu and ram.  My box, HDD, tape drive,
> video card, etc are all fine.
>
> Finally, the boxes I have built are always 100% better than any 'complete
> system' I have been forced to use at work.  Often the folks that build them
> use the cheapest parts possible that fit the ordered spec.  Time and again, I
> have had hardward configuration problems.
>
> So, when you add all of these things up -- it is never 'cheaper' (in my mind)
> to buy a 'complete' system.

For non-technical people who will use the default everything,
it may be. But if you know what you're doing, it's another
story entirely.

Besides, I really enjoy putting together systems.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
Ishmael said, "It is your culture's deep-seated perception that
wisdom is not to be found among you. This is what your daydream
reveals. You know how to build marvelous electronic gadgets, you
know how to send ships into space, you know how to peer into
the depths of atoms. But the simplest and most needful knowledge of
all, the knowledge of how to live, simply doesn't exist among you."