[CLUE-Tech] Hardware Questions

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Mon Jan 14 10:42:03 MST 2002

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

[...]

> I have several machines, but one of them is an Socket A Athlon running at
> 1GHz. For price/performance, I highly recommend buying AMD. I prefer ASUS
> boards, but they're a little higher-priced.

Based on recommendations from tomshardware, I bought a ASUS board (A7V133).  It
turns out that they have some broken power management that results in the CPU
running hot.  Details here:

http://unixmafia.port5.com/news/00211001.html

My CPU runs around 57C consistently.  That's well within spec (90C is the max for
Athlon chips) and I don't have any issues due to heat (my box has pretty good air
flow though).  But some have suggested it is bad in the long term for a CPU to run
in the 50's rather than the 30's.  I don't know.