[CLUE-Tech] Hardware Questions

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 14 11:06:33 MST 2002

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Dave Anselmi wrote:

> Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> > I have several machines, but one of them is an Socket A Athlon running at
> > 1GHz. For price/performance, I highly recommend buying AMD. I prefer ASUS
> > boards, but they're a little higher-priced.
>
> Based on recommendations from tomshardware, I bought a ASUS board (A7V133).  It
> turns out that they have some broken power management that results in the CPU
> running hot.  Details here:

I believe that's the board that I have. I'll take a look at that later
today.

> http://unixmafia.port5.com/news/00211001.html
>
> My CPU runs around 57C consistently.  That's well within spec (90C is the max for
> Athlon chips) and I don't have any issues due to heat (my box has pretty good air
> flow though).  But some have suggested it is bad in the long term for a CPU to run
> in the 50's rather than the 30's.  I don't know.

I have had heat issues, but I assumed they were due to the placement of the
box (too close to the wall, blowback from the PS was warming the box) and
the weak-assed fan that I got with it. I've moved the box and replaced the
fan with a much better sink/fan combo and haven't had any issues since.

If you do have heat issues, you will know pretty quickly... :)

Thanks for the info.

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/