[CLUE-Tech] Hardware Questions

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Mon Jan 14 23:05:44 MST 2002

Mark Horning wrote:

> Dave Anselmi wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > My CPU runs around 57C consistently.  That's well within spec (90C is the max for
> > Athlon chips) and I don't have any issues due to heat (my box has pretty good air
> > flow though).  But some have suggested it is bad in the long term for a CPU to run
> > in the 50's rather than the 30's.  I don't know.
> >
> > Dave
>
> What type of fan do you have? I'm using an Iwill KK226R+ board
> (at the time, highly recommended by anandtech.com) with a 1.4g
> and it runs great.

[...]

The question isn't what fan I have.  For my Athlon 850, the Molex CPU fan and 2 (100
decibel) case fans are overkill.  The issue is that Asus motherboards prevent the CPU
from switching to a low power state when it is idle.  So at full load my CPU would run
about 57C.  And that's what it runs at unloaded, too.  The link in my previous post has
more details.