[CLUE-Tech] Hardware Questions

Mark Horning rip6 at rip6.net
Mon Jan 14 20:50:27 MST 2002

Dave Anselmi wrote:

<snip>

> My CPU runs around 57C consistently.  That's well within spec (90C is the max for
> Athlon chips) and I don't have any issues due to heat (my box has pretty good air
> flow though).  But some have suggested it is bad in the long term for a CPU to run
> in the 50's rather than the 30's.  I don't know.
>
> Dave

What type of fan do you have? I'm using an Iwill KK226R+ board
(at the time, highly recommended by anandtech.com) with a 1.4g
and it runs great. The driver CD comes with Linux drivers for
the on-board raid controller. In fact, if you boot from
the CD it loads linux so you can copy off the drivers to a
floppy for installation. Kinda cool!
But back to the fan...If you have heat 'concerns' that would
be the first place I look. You can get one of those neat looking
but somewhat inefficient 'orb' designs or you can go for the
best - Swiftech (a little noisy).
http://www.swiftnets.com
I use the MC370, works great. Check out tomshardware for the
reviews.

Mark

--

Mark Horning