[CLUE-Tech] Re: Newbie dual-booting XP and Linux problems

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Jan 15 10:13:36 MST 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 07:33, Kenneth Courville wrote:
> Thanks for the responses.  Ed, and anyone else interested, here is my
> lilo.conf...please note the hardware/software changes below, too:

Hi Ken,

Did you actually read my message?

I *didn't* recommend Lilo.

I recommended GRUB (which now ships as default with RH 7.2) since GRUB
is a lot more forgiving about which disks and partitions you can boot
off of, has an easier setup/config (don't need to run any programs like
/sbin/lilo after editing the config files), allows easier boot-time
changes to the config, etc...

To repeat, my recommendation was:

 1) first install windows in one partition (and use FAT not NTFS)

 2) then install linux (RH 7.2 being my choice) in other partitions
    and/or on other disks (be careful not to overwrite your winXP
    install)

 3) install GRUB in the MBR (this is an option during during the
    RH 7.2 install)

 4) the RH 7.2 install should then *automatically* recognize the
    WinXP setup and and create a dual-boot config for it

 5) done

Note that if you have problems with (4) then I can send you copies
of my GRUB config files.  But you shouldn't.  It should do the setup for
you automatically.  I've done this three times in the last few months
and it was *quite* easy.

hth,
Ed

--