[CLUE-Tech] Re: Newbie dual-booting XP and Linux problems

Kenneth Courville kcourville at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 07:33:46 MST 2002

Thanks for the responses.  Ed, and anyone else interested, here is my
lilo.conf...please note the hardware/software changes below, too:

prompt
timeout=50
default=Windows XP Pro
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
lba32

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10
    label=linux 7.2
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img
    read-only
    root=/dev/hdb2
    append="hdd=ide-scsi"

other=/dev/hda1
    optional
    label=Windows XP Pro

Anything you can post to help would be appreciated.

Since my original e-mail, I have changed my hardware and reformatted and
reinstalled Linux as well.  Reading that LILO should be on one of the
first two disks, I changed my drive configuration as follows:

Primary IDE
- Master = 20 Gb HDD: 2 partitions, both NTFS, WinXP boots on first
partition
- Slave = 3.2 Gb HDD: 32 Mb = /boot, 2.28 Gb = /root, 512 Mb = <swap>,
200 Mb = /share(FAT-formatted)

Secondary IDE
- Master = none
- Slave = CDRW drive

When executing LILO after booting off the floppy, it now give a "boot is
not on the first drive, syntax error near line 3" (not exact message),
which wasn't happening before I re-installed.

Also, during this re-install, I tried to let LILO be the boot manager. I
selected to install LILO to the MBR...after turning off the boot-sector
protection in the BIOS (pretty sure that was one of the problems
before).  Then when booting, I would only get "L", then a bunch of
"02"s.

So, I cleared the MBR and am back here again.

Booting off of the floppy works fine, but since I'm trying to learn
Linux, I feel that I should learn the boot process as well and make it
work any way that I can. >:-)