[CLUE-Tech] HP laptop

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Wed Jan 16 14:18:08 MST 2002

Ed,

And the REALLY bad part is that the salesperson on the phone told me
that I had to have an OS on it for "Quality Assurance" to ensure that it
works before it goes out the door. Sheeesh.....

However, there is one issue that we may not have thought of: would you
by a brand new car without an engine?  Just to put your own in?
Essentials are required, accessories can be left off and thus lower the
price.  That may be their comeback to our arguement.

Kevin

Ed Hill wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 12:42, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> > The sad part is that I called IBM about a laptop a while back and
> > computers with Windows2K and above you CAN NOT get a refund on the OS
> > like you could with NT/98/etc, so you're out of luck getting a money to
> > buy Linux products. The key issue is that we're getting to the point
> > that we'll have to "build our own" in order NOT to get a Windows OS.
> > Talk about a subscription model .....
>
> Yes, its awful.  My new Thinkpad had the same terms.  Its a clear abuse
> of monopoly power.
>
> So if you want to do something *constructive* about this increasingly
> rotten situation, please read:
>
>   http://www.kegel.com/remedy/
>
> and then write your own letter to Renata B. Hesse which will then be
> published in the Federal Register.  This is one of the best ways that we
> can end these practices.
>
> And please feel free to borrow from my letter:
>
>   http://www.eh3.com/fed_reg_letter.pdf
>   http://www.eh3.com/fed_reg_letter.tex
>
> if you want.
>
> Ed
>
> --
> Edward H. Hill III, PhD
> Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:       ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu
> Division of ESE            |  URL:         http://www.eh3.com
> Colorado School of Mines   |  Phone:       303-273-3483
> Golden, CO  80401          |  Fax:         303-273-3311
> GnuPG Key ID:  1E76F123    |  Public key:  http://www.eh3.com/eh3.gpg

>                        Name: signature.asc
>    signature.asc       Type: application/pgp-signature

"Success is never final, failure is never fatal" - Kevin Cullis
---
Kevin Cullis
kcullis at coloradoexcellence.org
303-893-CPEX (2739)