[CLUE-Tech] HP laptop

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jan 16 14:33:55 MST 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 14:18, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> Ed,
>
> And the REALLY bad part is that the salesperson on the phone told me
> that I had to have an OS on it for "Quality Assurance" to ensure that it
> works before it goes out the door. Sheeesh.....
>
> However, there is one issue that we may not have thought of: would you
> by a brand new car without an engine?  Just to put your own in?
> Essentials are required, accessories can be left off and thus lower the
> price.  That may be their comeback to our arguement.

Yes, I certainly *would* buy a computer without an OS and have, in fact,
done it *many* times.

Your "engine" analogy is a very poor fit in this situation.  Software is
much more like tires or gasoline or some other easily-replaced
consumable than the engine.  And, more importantly, software should
*remain* an option that is easy to replace.

Please go read:

  http://www.kegel.com/remedy/

and then *please* address your complaints to the Federal Register in the
form of a well-written letter email.  Its not that tough to do!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:       ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu