[CLUE-Tech] Re: stress testing

MaziFarhang mazikhan at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 10:42:11 MST 2002

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I realize that my synopsis was a bit
lacking is as far as details.  FYI, I am using the machines mostly for DB
operations (mySQL).  2 of the machines (including the one that habitually
dies) are using AMD Ahtlon processors, the other one is an Intel.  The time
when the machine dies is when I introduce a very high load to the DB - lots
of reading and writing (perhaps the same amount of each).  I do a lot of
crawling, so there is also heavy network usage, but I don't see any reason
why this should freeze up the machine.  The machine freezes after about 24
hours of heavy usage.  Upon restart, there are obviously all kinds of bad
file records, but these are automatically repaired.  My DB, however, is
inconsistent.  There are writes that are never written to disk.  I have
utilities that repair this particular problem, but I need to see what is
killing the PC.

Why do I suspect the disk drive?  I really have no good reason, except maybe
a hunch that heavy disk usage is what is killing the machine.  Now I know
that this may also heat up the machine, so that may be another thing to look
at.

Regarding the heat issues, I will attempt to attack that problem first and
then see what happens.  If not, I will try to see if I can get some load
testing results from the hard drive.  I will look into "bonnie" for disk
performance, but will this also try to drive it to its breaking point?

Thank you all for your help.  I will keep you posted.

Mazi Farhang
TopoWeb.