[CLUE-Tech] Re: stress testing

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Thu Jan 17 11:51:32 MST 2002

MaziFarhang wrote:

>Thanks for all your suggestions.  I realize that my synopsis was a bit
>lacking is as far as details.  FYI, I am using the machines mostly for DB
>operations (mySQL).  2 of the machines (including the one that habitually
>dies) are using AMD Ahtlon processors, the other one is an Intel.  The time
>when the machine dies is when I introduce a very high load to the DB - lots
>of reading and writing (perhaps the same amount of each).  I do a lot of
>crawling, so there is also heavy network usage, but I don't see any reason
>why this should freeze up the machine.  The machine freezes after about 24
>hours of heavy usage.  Upon restart, there are obviously all kinds of bad
>file records, but these are automatically repaired.  My DB, however, is
>inconsistent.  There are writes that are never written to disk.  I have

Have you considered trying a different db so that it would be more
consistent if the machine crashes or if there is a power interruption?
 I use Postgres, and under heavy updates, I pulled the power cord out of
the back.  Every transaction that the application (on a different
machine so I could tell) thought had committed showed up.  IT was
running heavy updates and inserts, then I yanked the power cord, and
everything was just as expected.  Just be sure to go with 7.1, not 7.0.3
or 6.5 if you want the full protection like this.  6.5 had performance
problems under heavy inserts, and 7.0.3 had no write ahead logging,
which hurt performance a little, and made recovery not quite as clean.