[CLUE-Tech] Slashcode

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 17 15:16:08 MST 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Todd A. Gibson wrote:

> > > I've wondered, occasionally, how well a weblog would work for CLUE
> > > discussions. SlashCLUE anyone? Err, TwiKLUE?
> >

> On the tangent of Slash code, I thought I'd pass on impressions for
> those considering using it.  I recently set it up for UCD's School of
> Education so their doctoral students could use it to produce an online
> journal (http://novations.opencentric.com, click on "Explore the
> Journal")
>
> Impressions:
> 1) Despite efforts to document the thing, it is still poorly documented.
> Expect to spend at least a day getting comfortable with it once it's
> installed.

Have you written any extra docs? I'm sure that if you've gone
the distance with it, you'd be able to add to the docs significantly.

> 2) There are a few quirks (read "bugs") with the stock installation but
> they aren't catastrophic (such as the submissions system being a little
> sloppy on the admin side).
>
> 3) It performs well for the "stock" settings, but more bugs are
> uncovered when you try to customize it.  Being fluent in Perl definitely
> helps if you want to customize it.

Do you have any patches for others who might want to try Slashcode?
Or are the customizations too specific for general use?

> 4) It is a resource hog.  My current server is an old 266MHz 128Meg
> system.  It was humming along nicely until the Slash code came along.
> Now it bogs heavily if >5 people access the slashsite at the same time.
> Sigh.  I'm expecting my 1U Raid-1 yummy nummy server to arrive in the
> mail next week to replace it.

I think that's true of any tool that generates a dynamic Website from
Perl/PHP with a SQL backend. Not quite sure what you were running
on it before, but there's a big difference between serving static
pages and dynamic pages. When I started working for LinuxMall the
site was static and served up >100,000 page views a day from a
Pentium Pro w/128MB of RAM IIRC. When we moved to a dynamic site
we were using a dual Xeon with a GB of RAM.

That being said, it might be that Slash is a bigger hog than other
systems, but I haven't tried it. It might be a fun experiment, though.

> 5) Despite any comments that are disparaging to slash code, I am
> using it and it has definitely been worth the effort.

I bet the LDP folks would love you forever if you were to contribute
a HOWTO. I'd be willing to help author one with you if you want.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/