[CLUE-Tech] Slashcode

Todd A. Gibson tgibson at augustcouncil.com
Thu Jan 17 16:46:11 MST 2002

> > 3) It performs well for the "stock" settings, but more bugs are
> > uncovered when you try to customize it.  Being fluent in Perl definitely
> > helps if you want to customize it.
>
> Do you have any patches for others who might want to try Slashcode?
> Or are the customizations too specific for general use?

To date I don't believe the changes aren't significant enough to merit a
patch.  However, I am planning some more radical changes that might
merit a patch, such as being able to attach a files to submitted
article.

> > 4) It is a resource hog.
>
> I think that's true of any tool that generates a dynamic Website from
> Perl/PHP with a SQL backend.
>
> That being said, it might be that Slash is a bigger hog than other
> systems, but I haven't tried it. It might be a fun experiment, though.

I'm sure mod_perl is half the problem.  The other half is the number of
Perl modules that the slash code crams in there.

> I bet the LDP folks would love you forever if you were to contribute
> a HOWTO. I'd be willing to help author one with you if you want.

Most of the useful information in my head at this point is understanding
the system in general and some tips/tricks to modify it to suit.
Unfortunately, I had to get it up in a short amount of time so I didn't
take good notes.  When my new server comes I was planning on installing
from scratch and reproducing my steps, documenting it this time around.

When I do that, I'll send my notes your way to help get it into shape
for LDP.

-TAG