[CLUE-Tech] Slashcode

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 18 11:12:07 MST 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Todd A. Gibson wrote:

> > > 3) It performs well for the "stock" settings, but more bugs are
> > > uncovered when you try to customize it.  Being fluent in Perl definitely
> > > helps if you want to customize it.
> >
> > Do you have any patches for others who might want to try Slashcode?
> > Or are the customizations too specific for general use?
>
> To date I don't believe the changes aren't significant enough to merit a
> patch.  However, I am planning some more radical changes that might
> merit a patch, such as being able to attach a files to submitted
> article.

Cool. Did you see the Slash/Wiki thing?

> > > 4) It is a resource hog.
> >
> > I think that's true of any tool that generates a dynamic Website from
> > Perl/PHP with a SQL backend.
> >
> > That being said, it might be that Slash is a bigger hog than other
> > systems, but I haven't tried it. It might be a fun experiment, though.
>
> I'm sure mod_perl is half the problem.  The other half is the number of
> Perl modules that the slash code crams in there.

How many does Slash code use? I remember we evaluated both mod_perl and
PHP and decided to go with PHP because we'd decided that mod_perl was
too resource-intensive...  As someone with little programming experience,
I also prefer working with PHP because it's been relatively easy to
pick up, though I'm still working on mastering Perl...

> > I bet the LDP folks would love you forever if you were to contribute
> > a HOWTO. I'd be willing to help author one with you if you want.
>
> Most of the useful information in my head at this point is understanding
> the system in general and some tips/tricks to modify it to suit.
> Unfortunately, I had to get it up in a short amount of time so I didn't
> take good notes.  When my new server comes I was planning on installing
> from scratch and reproducing my steps, documenting it this time around.
>
> When I do that, I'll send my notes your way to help get it into shape
> for LDP.

Sounds good. Sounds like a fun project...

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/