[CLUE-Tech] Database Design Tool for Linux?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 17 17:22:50 MST 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> Greetings.

Howdy.

> Doing a google search, I find the usual culprits, such as DeZign,
> Embarcadero, ErWin, etc., but they are all Windoze tools, AFAICT.

There are two for Linux that you might try, unfortunately they're
not freeware.

The Kompany makes Data Architect:
http://www.thekompany.com/products/dataarchitect/

and Kivio MP:
http://www.thekompany.com/products/kivio/

Kivio is a general purpose diagram program, Data Architect is
a database modeling tool. Both run on Linux or Windoze.

> Given the importance of the database server market to Linux (isn't it?),
> I'm actually surprised there isn't something with even rudimentary support
> for diagramming tables, columns, and the relations between them. So, have
> I missed something? What tools are the people who are doing database
> design for MySQL or PostgreSQL on linux using? Are we really stuck with
> having to use something on Windoze?

I don't know of any other tools (than Data Architect) that are
specifically for database design. More than likely most folks
are doing a lot of the design work with Windows tools (or
pen and paper...) then implementing with Linux.

Hope that is of some help.

Best,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net