[CLUE-Tech] Database Design Tool for Linux?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Jan 17 18:55:20 MST 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:22:50 -0700 (MST)
"Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jbrockmeier at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > Doing a google search, I find the usual culprits, such as DeZign,
> > Embarcadero, ErWin, etc., but they are all Windoze tools, AFAICT.
>
> There are two for Linux that you might try, unfortunately they're
> not freeware.
>
> The Kompany makes Data Architect:
> http://www.thekompany.com/products/dataarchitect/
>
> and Kivio MP:
> http://www.thekompany.com/products/kivio/

Not even terribly expensive. I see there are free demo versions
 Kivio - 1MB gzipped. I might even dl it later.
 DA - 354MB - don't think I'll do that

> Kivio is a general purpose diagram program, Data Architect is
> a database modeling tool. Both run on Linux or Windoze.
> I don't know of any other tools (than Data Architect) that are
> specifically for database design. More than likely most folks
> are doing a lot of the design work with Windows tools
[sigh]
> (or pen and paper...)
      ^^^
Yep, We Don't Need no Steenking Erasers! Of course, all my models spring
forth from my mind already in 5th-normal form.

> Hope that is of some help.

Adds to the list. Maybe I should just break down and load StarOffice, and
try their drawing tool. Anyone got a platter I can use? (I'm on RH 7.1)

--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."