[CLUE-Tech] Database Design Tool for Linux?

Tom Poindexter tpoindex at nyx.net
Thu Jan 17 22:06:52 MST 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 04:55:23PM -0700, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> As I begin to cogitate upon a little educational exercise here at home, a
> PHP/PostgreSQL sandbox, I'm discovering that I feel almost stuck without a
> graphical database design tool. Granted, I can whip out a pencil and a

I posted to the list a few weeks ago about using Microsoft Visio Modeler
with PostgreSQL.  Yes, it is a Windows-based tool, but does do some nice
modeling.  You can use entity-relationship models (ER), or Object Role
Modeling (ORM).  It's currently a 27mb. *free* download.

See: http://clue.denver.co.us/pipermail/clue-tech/2001-December/002619.html

Another, simple drawing tool is LDS Draw:
                http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~safonov/ldsdraw/

It's a fairly simple drawing tool for ER diagrams, but does have the nice
feature of keeping the lines connected in a reasonable fashion as you
re-arrange entities.  It was written several years ago by a grad student
I know.  The README says it needs Tcl/Tk 7.6, but works fine with 8.3
that is shipped with modern Linux distros.

For me, I bite the bullet and boot Windows to use Visio Modeler.  It cries
out loud for Win4Lin or VMware.
--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex at nyx.net