[CLUE-Tech] Database Design Tool for Linux?

David Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Fri Jan 18 14:54:33 MST 2002

It's not a design tool, per se, but pgaccess is distributed with PostgresQL,
and is GUI.
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?reference-client.html

-----Original Message-----
From: clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us
[mailto:clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us]On Behalf Of Jed S. Baer
Sent: Thursday, 17 January, 2002 16:55
To: clue-tech
Subject: [CLUE-Tech] Database Design Tool for Linux?

Greetings.

As I begin to cogitate upon a little educational exercise here at home, a
PHP/PostgreSQL sandbox, I'm discovering that I feel almost stuck without a
graphical database design tool. Granted, I can whip out a pencil and a
flowcharting template (yes, I own a couple of those, and I used to use
them), or snag a cheap white board. But, I'm struck with the lack of such
a tool for linux. Yes, there's GNU/Dia, but it isn't really up to the
task. It seems pretty clunky to me, and its entity shapeset is severly
limited. I haven't a clue what those symbols in the "Sybase" shapeset are
for - I've never seen the like in any modeling tool, except for that
ribbed drum thing which is a symbol for a database. I think a whiteboard
would be more useful to me.

Doing a google search, I find the usual culprits, such as DeZign,
Embarcadero, ErWin, etc., but they are all Windoze tools, AFAICT.

Given the importance of the database server market to Linux (isn't it?),
I'm actually surprised there isn't something with even rudimentary support
for diagramming tables, columns, and the relations between them. So, have
I missed something? What tools are the people who are doing database
design for MySQL or PostgreSQL on linux using? Are we really stuck with
having to use something on Windoze?

TIA for any hints.
jed

--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."