[CLUE-Tech] State of Art In Clustering

Chris K. Chew chris at fenetics.com
Sat Jan 19 10:42:49 MST 2002

I am under the impression that beowulf clusters are geared towards the "high
performance processing" for projects like seti or animated movies, where
there is way too much data to process. Considering this, it is possible that
scyld is not what you are looking for.

In contrast, a high availability cluster is a group of computers that
doesn't cut service even if it looses one or more computers. Words like
apache and postgres make it sound like you are looking for a high
availability cluster, maybe something like a large website or application
server? If this is the case, you might find the Linux Virtual Server
interesting. www.linuxvirtualserver.org.

My company has spent some time planning fault-tolerant server clusters for
our applications, but we have only begun to implement them due to the slow
past few months. I would be happy to talk more about what we have learned if
you have any questions about high availability.

good luck.

Chris Chew
chris at fenetics.com