[CLUE-Tech] Failed DNS lookup with 'host' command

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Tue Jan 22 17:55:27 MST 2002

On Tuesday 22 January 2002 04:29 pm, Dave Anselmi wrote:

> Your resolv.conf should point to an external nameserver,

My name server in /etc/resolv.conf is set to:
nameserver 192.168.254.254

Which makes sense because it is on the LAN, which is the 192.168 network.

The router simply provides a hostname and MAC address of the router to the
ATTBI DHCP server.  When I check my router configuration, here is the
relevant info:

INTERNET
Cable/DSL :  CONNECTED
WAN IP:  12.254.x.xxx
Subnet Mask:  255.255.248.0
Gateway IP: 12.254.0.1
DNS:  216.148.227.68
Secondary DNS:  204.127.202.4

So the real question is why isn't the DNS server IP (216.148.227.68) that is
reported by the router connection not make it to my local DHCPCD
configuration?

I know I can manually update my /etc/resolv.conf.  If anyone has other
suggestions, I appreciate it.  In the meantime, I will have to break down and
RTFM on the Siemens router!

Jeff