[CLUE-Tech] Failed DNS lookup with 'host' command

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Jan 22 18:55:28 MST 2002

Jeffery Cann wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 January 2002 04:29 pm, Dave Anselmi wrote:
>
> > Your resolv.conf should point to an external nameserver,
>
> My name server in /etc/resolv.conf is set to:
> nameserver 192.168.254.254
>
> Which makes sense because it is on the LAN, which is the 192.168 network.

No, that doesn't make sense.  Your machine will then send name lookups to port 53
(udp) at that IP.  There's no bind there, hence the error you get from host.  Why
anything else works, I don't know, unless there is more in your resolve.conf
(e.g., other nameserver lines that might get tried).

Is your linux box running dhcpcd or dhclient (the client side of dhcp)?  Is your
router the dhcp server?  I assume yes to both from below:

> The router simply provides a hostname and MAC address of the router to the
> ATTBI DHCP server.  When I check my router configuration, here is the
> relevant info:
>
> INTERNET
> Cable/DSL :  CONNECTED
> WAN IP:  12.254.x.xxx
> Subnet Mask:  255.255.248.0
> Gateway IP: 12.254.0.1
> DNS:  216.148.227.68
> Secondary DNS:  204.127.202.4
>
> So the real question is why isn't the DNS server IP (216.148.227.68) that is
> reported by the router connection not make it to my local DHCPCD
> configuration?

Your router should be running a dhcp server.  That should be passing out IPs (and
DNS IPs) to your linux box.  If it isn't, you should look at both the router docs
and the dhcpcd man page.  Perhaps there's a debug mode (or logs) that tell you
what is going on.  I know pppd can play games with /etc/resolv.conf to make it
right, I don't remember how dhcpcd does it.  Last time I used it, it Just Worked
(TM).

I don't have time to dig for an answer right now, but I can look more next week
if you're still stuck.  And there's always installfest...