[CLUE-Tech] Easiest DHCP

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Thu Jan 24 12:32:51 MST 2002

Steve wrote:

>I have Mandrake 7.2 but I'm thinking of upgrading to 8.1 or actually changing it
>all together to Red Hat 7.1 like Chris...Red Hat is one distro I've yet to
>try....imagine that.  As far as setup...I've had on static IP address through a
>LAN before but I think I need to have it on a cable setting which is what I have
>it on now with the DHCP setup.  I know for sure that the ethernet card works
>because it's the same one I was using with the static IP address setup months ago
>and it was still through AT&T's @home service.  It worked with SuSE but when I
>tried installing SuSE to get the internet going it still didn't work.
>
>I was looking closely during boot up and it said "Bringing up eth0 interface:
>can't find dhcp client  [Failed]"   That and something else with my soundcard and
>printer...but that's not as important.
>
>This group is speedy...I type in an email and I get responses in 15 minutes
>tops....This is awesome!
>
>Steve

I am a developer, not a network admin, so I use a cheesy Linksys DSL
router to do my NAT and DHCP serving.  I am using SuSE (7.1) on my
machines, and the DHCP setup was super simple.  I just told its config
tool to make the interface use DHCP, and it did.  Is that what you were
looking for?  The easy setup?