[CLUE-Tech] Newbie - Installation RH 7.2 - Unable to access CD ROM

Bennie Bub bennie at bubs.org
Thu Jan 24 18:46:04 MST 2002

I have an aged Ultra SCSI system:
  Micron P2, 166 MHz, Running Windows 2000 Server on a Conner (CFP 21075 2.1
GB HD - really a 	Seagate ST32109N)
  Adaptec AHA-2940U/AHA 2940 UW PCI SCSI Controller
  Plextor PX-6XCS SCSI CDRom

Bought RH 7.2, added another ultra SCSI 9.1 GB Seagate ST19171N HD (seems to
be fully functional and is viewable in W2K disk manager).

However my computer boots only from the A: or C: drives (There is no BIOS
offer to boot from the CD).  I can of course boot to W2K and perhaps I
should install Linux via Windows but I had hoped to do a completely fresh
install from the CDs on the new 9.1 GB drive.

So, I used RAWRITE to create an boot image on a Linux Boot Floppy but still
cannot access the Installation CD to do go further.

Question 1:  Where do I get and how do I install and use, an appropriate
Plextor or "generic" CD driver to be able to access the CD to install Linux
cleanly on the new drive without booting to C: i.e. Windows?

Question 2:  What problems would I run into if I installed Linux on the new
drive after having first booted into Windows.

Thank you very much for your help,