[CLUE-Tech] Perl

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Jan 25 08:58:55 MST 2002

* Kevin Cullis (kevincu at orci.com) wrote:
> However, if you're doing larger projects, try Python.  A recent Level 3
> NOC admin person stated that he reviewed a PERL script 3 years after he
> wrote it and HE didn't know what it did, and HE wrote it.  Can you
> imagine if someone else had to review it?  While PERL is the chainsaw of
> the Swiss army knife, it doesn't help for larger projects/etc. when
> repeatability and organizational issue are a concern.

I believe this would be the product of the programming practices, and
not the programming language.  Perl may make it easier to write very
cryptic programs, but it by no means makes that necessary.  What it
really boils down to is that a lot of programmers are just plain lazy --
they don't take the time to properly comment code, they use "neat"
syntax because some vaguely perceived speed gain, etc. etc.

If you write a good program, in almost any language, a programmer should
be able to see what it does.

Tim