[CLUE-Tech] Linux on i386

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 25 10:21:04 MST 2002

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Randy Arabie wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, ian wrote:
>
> > I don't believe Linux (any version) is supported on the 386sx chip.  I thought
> > it had to be a full blown 386 or better?
>
> Not the same brand, but nearly the same config.
>
> http://kadenix.dhs.org/wills/cmis325/mastersport386sx.html
>
> I'm gonna double-check the RAM in that thing again.  At the DOS prompt
> I ran the mem command.  The 'conventional' was 640KB, but total was 4MB.
>
> It that actual RAM, or some "virtual memory"?

If you have 4MB you should be able to use several of the smaller
distros.

It's actual RAM, DOS uses 640K as "conventional" memory due to
some constraints or logic that I could have explained four or
five years ago when I was actually using DOS...

Remember, this is the company led by a man who thought 640K
"should be enough for anybody."

Funny how so many people are willing to see Gates as a visionary
when he's actually behind the times so often. He's the ultimate
boss who steals your ideas six months after he shot them down to
your face.

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books... Men
should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives
and say: I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't, I
can, and my children will. Boys ought to grow up remembering that."
"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" -- James Stewart