[CLUE-Tech] Suse 7.3 Again

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 25 16:32:32 MST 2002

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Mike Staver wrote:

> > Is there a reason why you can't afford to buy the distro?
> > I don't want to start a flame war, but if people don't buck up
> > for the boxed sets companies like SuSE will go out of business.
> >
> > Yes, the code is Free, but making packages, creating ISOs,
> > documentation and all the other goodies COST MONEY.
> >
> > Just my thoughts...
>
> I agree, people need to buy the box sets for these companies to stay in
> business... that's why a year ago, my company bought SuSe Professional
> 7.1.  We wanted to set up a snort, mrtg, and ntop box for various
> networking tasks. I don't know if any of you have tried running ntop on
> a Red Hat (insert any version number here) or SuSe 7.1 system, but for
> the life of me, I can't get it to work under Red Hat, and it runs for a
> few minutes under SuSe 7.1 - then promptly dies after a few requests on
> port 3000 to see the stats.  So, before I rush out and buy another
> distro that I can't use, I want to try it.  My company has been great
> about buying every version of Red Hat that we use here, I just always
> try them out first.

Okay, that's fair. I have 7.3 -- I'll check with Xenia at SuSE to make
sure they're not coming out with 7.4 before the next CLUE meeting and
make copies of them.

I should have assumed the best, this is the CLUE list, after all. :)
I'm sure everyone on the list supports their favorite distro or
distros...

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books... Men
should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives
and say: I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't, I
can, and my children will. Boys ought to grow up remembering that."
"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" -- James Stewart