[CLUE-Tech] Easiest DHCP

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 26 08:09:08 MST 2002

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Randy Arabie wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Jeremiah Stanley wrote:
>
> > With the proper hostname changed to protect the innocent (me). I also have
> > some fancy iptables setup that grabs my IP and network settings from
> > /sbin/ifconfig to configure NAT and firewalling for my internal network
> > which Comcast is starting to crack down on this sort of setup
> > (http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/01/24/1957236&mode=thread) so I'll
> > most likely have to go back to using Qwaste for DSL really soon (and just
> > tell them that I am a Mac user to avoid MSN).
>
> I took a look at that article.  I'm curious, how does the ISP detect nat'ing,
> and how would they determine how large the network behind the firewall is?

I'm also curious if anyone has hard evidence that the
"crackdown" is really going on -- Slashdot ran the story
based on "a friend of mine..." BS.

I'd like to see a letter or email from Comcast to a customer
telling them about this before I get in a tizzy about it.

BTW -- if you want DSL, you can request another ISP. It might
cost a few dollars more, but it's important to make it known
to Qworst that:

1. Many people use OSes other than M$ -- particularly people
who want DSL.
2. Many people HATE MSN, and do not want to be forced to use
their, and I use this term loosely, service.

That being said, I would like to know what the distinguishing
characteristics are if Comcast is actually pursuing this. I
have several computers going behind my firewall, but I'm
the only one using them -- so I'm not "stealing" anything from
them. I wonder if a double firewall would be sufficient to
hide from the detection?

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books... Men
should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives
and say: I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't, I
can, and my children will. Boys ought to grow up remembering that."
"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" -- James Stewart