[CLUE-Tech] Easiest DHCP

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Sat Jan 26 10:09:48 MST 2002

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> BTW -- if you want DSL, you can request another ISP. It might
> cost a few dollars more, but it's important to make it known
> to Qworst that:
>
> 1. Many people use OSes other than M$ -- particularly people
> who want DSL.
> 2. Many people HATE MSN, and do not want to be forced to use
> their, and I use this term loosely, service.

Yes.  I dropped AT&T Broadband during the excite at home dissruption.
I now have Qwest DSL, but requested another ISP because I use
'Macintosh'.  I said Macintosh because I do have one here, and
wanted to at least have a "semi" supported OS on record with them.

> That being said, I would like to know what the distinguishing
> characteristics are if Comcast is actually pursuing this. I
> have several computers going behind my firewall, but I'm
> the only one using them -- so I'm not "stealing" anything from
> them. I wonder if a double firewall would be sufficient to
> hide from the detection?

I would think so, but I'm not a networking guru (not even close).

I've got my Cisco 678 nat'ing everything to my firewall/router box,
which in turn, nat's everything again to my internal network.  Thus,
all the traffic to my Cisco appears to be comming from one source,
my firewall/router.  I've essentially set my Cisco 678 to perform like
the broadband cable 'modems' given out by AT&T.

I can't think of any analysis tool that would tell an ISP what is going
on, as I understand that nat'ing re-writes each and every packet.

I suppose they could do some scanning to specific ports with varied
TTL's and analyze the results.  That is how crackers detect firewalls
and nat'ing machines.  However, that would require the firewall/router
be configured to do port-forwarding.  If your not port-forwarding any
open ports/services then I don't think that works.

I too, am the only one using the computers behind my Cisco, so I don't
see how an ISP could justify charging me more for having them hooked up.

--

Cheers!

Randy

Randy Arabie
GnuPG Key Info --

 Fingerprint: 7E25 DFA2 EF72 9551 9C6C  8AA6 6E8C A0F5 7E33 D981
 Key ID: 7C603AEF
 http://www.arabie.org/keys/rrarabie.gnupg