[CLUE-Tech] Easiest DHCP

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 27 14:58:46 MST 2002

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Randy Arabie wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
>
> > BTW -- if you want DSL, you can request another ISP. It might
> > cost a few dollars more, but it's important to make it known
> > to Qworst that:
> >
> > 1. Many people use OSes other than M$ -- particularly people
> > who want DSL.
> > 2. Many people HATE MSN, and do not want to be forced to use
> > their, and I use this term loosely, service.
>
> Yes.  I dropped AT&T Broadband during the excite at home dissruption.
> I now have Qwest DSL, but requested another ISP because I use
> 'Macintosh'.  I said Macintosh because I do have one here, and
> wanted to at least have a "semi" supported OS on record with them.

I saw a commercial the other day making fun of DSL companies by
AT&T... I just thought that was some major chutzpah from a company
that left their customers in a lurch because they were trying
to play hardball with another company...

I understand, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you
say "I use Linux" you've given them an excuse to refuse to support
anything (according to them, anyway -- "My modem burst into flames!"
"Sorry, sir, our records indicate you use Linux, which isn't supported.")
but if people don't go on record as using Linux it will never become
a supported option. Sigh.

*snip*

> I too, am the only one using the computers behind my Cisco, so I don't
> see how an ISP could justify charging me more for having them hooked up.

Indeed. I can understand going after someone who gets Cable (or DSL)
and then strings Ethernet cable to his neighbor or entire apartment
building. But if I'm not consuming more than my share of bandwidth,
it doesn't harm the cable company if I have one or one hundred computers
behind a firewall.

I really hope this doesn't become a problem, because I don't want
to have to switch back to Qworst.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books... Men
should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives
and say: I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't, I
can, and my children will. Boys ought to grow up remembering that."
"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" -- James Stewart