[CLUE-Tech] Easiest DHCP

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Sat Jan 26 12:32:17 MST 2002

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Jeremiah Stanley wrote:

> > I took a look at that article.  I'm curious, how does the ISP detect
> > nat'ing, and how would they determine how large the network behind the
> > firewall is?
>
> As root run: nmap -O <yourhosthere>

It would only tell them I'm not running windoze.  However, that doesn't
necessarily mean I'm nat'ing a lan behind my box.  And, running an OS
other than windoze or mac doesn't violate the service agreement in
_most_ cases.

> I personally would call NAT'ing and firewalling your network a service to
> your ISP. It is expensive and takes some wet ware to allocation IP's in a
> sensible manner and by only using one per household they are saving money.
> I'd be willing to venture that most cable companies and ISP's use consumer
> apathy/lack of knowledge to charge close to six bucks for multiple IP's. A
> friend of mine has six computers he does that with and it almost doubles
> the cost of his service. I assume by charging for this extra IP, they
> assume that it is a 'support cost' that they will charge you for needing
> their tech support to get DHCP to work with winders (enabled by default).

I agree.  I'm the customer an ISP should love to having.  All I need them to do
is handle their end, I'll do the rest...thank you.

I could understand them getting upset with people running big websites on
their network and hogging bandwidth.  Fine crack down on that.  But don't
hassle me for handling my own email and having a hobby website.

> There doesn't seem to be a prolific level of hardware NAT devices out
> there. I would think that an 802.11b NAT router for the home would be a
> hot seller. Plug it into the ISP's router and you can take your laptop
> anywhere in the house. But I assume that the ISP wants to support winders
> instead of some other device. They could eliminate their support costs if
> instead of giving out the cheapest possible cable router (if you can call
> it a router) and send out a network NAT device in it's place. Most of
> their customers would be tickled pink to "not mess with the damn
> computer".

There are devices that do just that, can't recall the brand, maybe netgear.
It will be a cable or dsl 'modem' and then serves as a 802.11b wireless access
point for the rest of your home network.

--

Cheers!

Randy

Randy Arabie
GnuPG Key Info --

 Fingerprint: 7E25 DFA2 EF72 9551 9C6C  8AA6 6E8C A0F5 7E33 D981
 Key ID: 7C603AEF
 http://www.arabie.org/keys/rrarabie.gnupg