[CLUE-Tech] Easiest DHCP

Collins Richey erichey2 at attbi.com
Sat Jan 26 12:33:07 MST 2002

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:38:17 -0700
Jeffery Cann <fabian at jefferycann.com> wrote:

> On Friday 25 January 2002 11:22 pm, Jeremiah Stanley wrote:
> > > With the new ATTBI network you do not need the hostname any longer.
> >
> > Then they have some way of monitoring who uses their bandwidth some
> > other way than that IP allocation? I wonder what they are using to
> > monitor service abuse and other forms of network mismanagement. Or do
> > I just get the same IP with my account?
>
> They use the MAC address of the NIC and I think they give out the same
> IPs.

I'm using a NetGear Router (before and after the @home -> @attbi cutover)
with the original @home hostname and dhcp and I've never had a problem.
The mac address of any of my NICs (2 permanent and 1 in a win2k lattop I
use for work) are certainly not visible to attbi!  I'm not enough of a
communications guru to know what kind of a pseudo mac address the router
presents to them.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
WWTLRD? - FreeBSD 4.4 + xfce + sylpheed